BUILDING INFORMATION MODELING (BIM)
for the preconstructed steel industry
At United Global Buildings we use BIM technology in the design and detailing of our buildings. Building information modeling (BIM) allows us to generate digital representations of physical and functional characteristics of our buildings prior to beginning the fabrication process.
Currently, BIM software is used in the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of our diverse buildings and infrastructures. This allows our engineering team to ensure that every aspect of our buildings is designed accurately to the smallest detail.
WHAT IS BIM?
▪ 3D, real-time, dynamic building modeling software
▪ Stores building data in a digital database throughout a project’s life cycle
▪ Allows for coordination among trades
BENEFITS OF BIM IN THE STEEL INDUSTY
▪ Produces a working model usable for fabrication
▪ Leads to increased productivity
▪ Enhances quality control, including clash detection
▪ Enables improved communication across project team members, reducing confusion and unnecessary costs
▪ Can significantly reduce change order costs
EFFICIENCIES OF BIM IN A STEEL MANUFACTURING PROJECT
▪ Design changes to the building can be incorporated and viewed
▪ Erection issues can be identified easily
▪ Approval process is easier and more straight-forward
▪ Eliminates the need to translate between multiple drawings and documents
BIM TECHNOLOGY AT UGG
▪ We have successfully used BIM technology on thousands of projects
▪ All detailers are fully-trained on these tools, increasing project efficiently
▪ We have a 12 person in-house team solely dedicated to the development of custom BIM tools
▪ UGB is partnered with Trimble (formerly known as Tekla)